Capital District of Circle K International History
On June 6, 1956 the first club in Virginia was chartered at Virginia Tech. At first, clubs were being chartered in unofficial districts, but then the 1957 Kiwanis International board established official districts for Circle K. The Capital District was approved in October of 1960 and already contained 10 clubs. The first governor was James S. Mathews from Randolph-Macon College. He went on to become International President in 1962. By then Circle K International had 7,700 members and 402 clubs. Four people from Capital have become International Presidents. Our first governor, Jim Mathews became an International President in 1962. In 1971, Ralph W. Kalish Jr. from The George Washington University became the second person from Capital to become an International President. The third International President from Capital wasn’t until the 1995-1996 year. It was Carol Clyde from Radford University. Almost a decade later, during the 2004-2005 term, Troy Dibley from the George Washington University served as the International President.